Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Section A ; Campo - Warner Springs

Well, we have finished the the first section of the hike. It was short. It was challenging.

It was beautiful. The most challenging terrain in the first section was Hauser Canyon. It came on the first day (elaborate later) - it kicked our asses. We are still overpacking food and water, but we are getting a little more aggressive and carrying less. I don't need many breaks from walkin, although I do enjoy them. The food is not so great, except for the constant flow of peanut butter to my mouth. 

Kitchen creek ... yep, soaked my feet in the cold spring on a very hot day.  Then met Boomer and Hector for some trail magic.  They had chocolate covered coffee beans.  

Pictures really cannot justify the arid prairie leading into Warner springs. Or the majestic rise of a mountain.  Or the remote oak lined spring fed creek ... that is just there.

I am using an alcohol stove and have almost caught my tent on fire twice.  I have not started reading yet. I eat 1,000 calories and go right to bed (for the first couple of days, at least). I am always dead tired once the day is over.  And the thru-hiker hobble is always lingering once we hit around 18 miles.  Just keep smiling.

I am doing my yoga stretches when i can in the morning, and always at night. It really is helping a lot. I can tell the difference in the days I stretch, and the days I don't. Once I got comfortable and acclimated, I was able to start meditating (once or twice). It has helped, although very intense along with most of my thoughts out here.

Stayed in Warner springs for a zero plus a night.  They have natural hot springs.  I slept naked, and it was great.  

The trip so far...

Ailments:
  • Chafing (like crazy); both fabric and inner leg on inner leg. I have pictures.
  • Heat rash
  • Rolled my ankle 3 times on the first day. Have not again since.
  • Minor sunburn on the top of my ears.
  • Sore pads on the feet.

Things on my mind (may be intense or serious):
  • We really take a lot of things for granted don't we?  I have been thinking about chairs and dogs.  
  • I have been thinking a lot about my Grandpa.  How he has affected my life in various ways and things I want to carry forward. My Grandpa always was the most social Man.  Always cared about the best interest of everyone, and making sure everyone was comfortable. Easy breezy, loved to laugh. And I am very fortunate for the things I still remember.  I am still very fortunate to have experienced such a relationship with him.  
  • And Jillian. How we take such things for granted.  Did I lose the one thing in my life that I could never replace. How I still remember very vividly a smile, a kiss on the back of the neck, early morning calls just to say good morning, or even how we used to blow each other kisses.  Could I truly Love someone and do the things did.
  • Immaturity / Maturity - What do they both mean to me? 
  • How much my internal self concept has changed after the first couple months of my relationship with Jillian.  What changed? 
  • It's very funny how we can associate such stupid things as picking up your feet and walking poles to life.  Do I really walk through life dragging my feet?  Yes.  Over and over in my mind ... "If you're going to do it, do it right. Just do it right, Jerry.  Always living with loose ends."

More thoughts:

  • So far I have ditched about 10 lbs. of pack weight.
  • From the first second I stepped foot on the trail I knew - If I finish this thing, it has nothing to do with me, Paul, Tom ... and it has everything to do with luck. We're lucky that we have met such amazing and experienced people. They have passed on their trail and gear knowledge without thinking twice about it. We're lucky it's only been 80 degrees, and not 100 degrees going through the Chaparral. And we're very lucky we haven't been injured yet.
  • I've lost 8lbs.
  • I have lost my glasses, broke my sunglasses, lost my spork and a replacement spoon. 
  • Tom and Paul are very quick. I miss coffee.
I will post pics later.  I may change the format of this, too. What's important to me I guess you may not care about.